Residence Permit for EU citizens

The Community Card

European Union citizens can freely enter, exit, travel and remain in Spain, and are not obliged to get the residence card (the European Community registration card), in order to live or stay for longer than 3 months in Spain. The residence card is not any more, as it used to be after the incorporation of Spain into the European Union, a formal requirement for EU citizens to establish their residence in Spain, although they can apply to get one if they wish to obtain it (in this case, the government employee must inform the EU citizen about the non obligation to get the card).

The temporary residence cards are issued for staying periods between3 months and 1 year, the permanent residence card is issued for 5 years, which is automatically renewable.

You must apply for your residence card in person to the foreigners’ office (Oficina de Extranjeros) or the national police station (Comisaría de Policía Nacional) with Foreigners’ department from the city where you are going to live.

You will be required to present the following documentation:

  • Your passport valid for at least six months.
  • Three photographs of the correct size.
  • Medical certificate, when required.
  • Proof of family relationship, when applying for reuniting family members.
  • Proof of your financial support while you are in Spain, your pension, or copy of your work contract if you are going to work in Spain as employee, or documented proof that you meet the necessary requirements to work on your own account, when you are going to work in Spain as self employed.

You should carry your residence card with you at all times as it constitutes a mandatory identity card for foreign residents in Spain.

These are only general guidelines and not definitive statements of the law, all questions about the law’s applications to individual cases shall be directed to a Spanish Lawyer.

If you have any question please email